Re: Computing power for RadarScreen

  • To: omega-list@xxxxxxxxxx
  • Subject: Re: Computing power for RadarScreen
  • From: "Terry B. Rhodes" <trhodes3@xxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Fri, 23 Aug 2002 23:48:20 -0700

> Does anyone uses RadarScreen extensively on this list?

yes

> I am trying to
> determine what kind of computing power would make a real-time processing of
> 500 symbols (with 4 types of data compressions for each of the 500 symbols,
> multiple indicators, alerts, tracking center/s, around 10 charts with
> indicators...all running simultaneously).

don't think radarscreen reliably handles tick updates for > 250
symbols no matter what configuration you run. You might try
setting your indicator to calculate once per bar. But 2000 (500 x
4 bar types) is a long way from 250.

> What I have found is PS2Ki GlobalServer on a 600Mhz, 1Gig RAM Dell wks with
> NT4 Server, utilizes around 10-18% average CPU and around 183Meg RAM to
> collect 250 symbols from eSignal via cable Internet.  If I start one
> RadarScreen with 5-min data compression w/o any indicators, the utilization
> is 45-60% average CPU (frequently spikes to 100%) and 256Meg RAM.  With one
> indicator, its about 75-86% average CPU (of course spiking frequently to
> 100% and occasionally hangs up the machine...so I have to reboot), and about
> the same RAM.

RAM is not the issue

> I wonder if a dual 2.4 xeon (or maybe a quad MP xeon) with 2 or 4 Gig would
> make all my needs (that I have described above) run smoothly at a max 50%
> CPU usage with ideally a 36% average CPU??!!
> Omega says on its product web page that PS2Ki is designed to utilize upto 8
> CPUs on a machine .Is anybody using PS2Ki on a 8CPU machine??

I tried to get radarscreen to watch lots of symbols on a dual
processor NT system, no luck. Pretty sure radarscreen is in
ORradar.exe, on a quad you could give this its own CPU, can't get
better than this, RS is single threaded internally. Factor and
extrapolate CPU utilization scaling on your single cpu system to
see if you will run out of cycles on the quad.

regards,

tbr