Re: Optimization

Good morning Lords and Ladies of the List!

I swam in that lake about two years ago and no matter
how deep I dove, not a single damn sword anywhere to
be found. Now this could have been the lack of purity
of my test systems but...

I spend a few thousand dollars for a "basket of
systems" from a vendor whose name I will not mention
in a broadcast email (though private inquires are
always welcome). This Dark Knight advertised his
systems saying they worked great using walk-forward
optimization. Of course, TS does not do this easily so
there was no simple test method to validate his claim
to a seat at the Round Table.

I, Alexander the Tenacious, performed hundreds of
tests with two computers over a number of these
systems with adjusting both the optimization periods
and the walk-forward trading periods. On a daily
chart, I tested periods from two weeks, very high
frequency optimization and trading cycles to five
years or very low frequency optimization and trading
cycles.

I found that across all systems (I tested five), the
best results came from an average of two year
optimization with an average four year trading cycle
before the next optimization. In other words, a little
optimization traded over a longer time was better.
Overall however, the trading results, to use an
ancient noble English term, sucked!

Curve fitting works great on Halle Berry and Cameron
Diaz. Not on time series data.

I hope this helps!
alexander the anecdotal