Re: Optimization

Chuck LeBeau wrote:
>Louis B. Lukac and B.Wade Brorsen wrote a graduate thesis entitled "The
>Usefulness of Historical Data in Selecting Parameters for Technical Trading
>Systems".
>They concluded "The results of all the tests suggest that the forcasting
>ability of optimization is limited.  Optimization was not able to forcast
>parameter sets which would produce portfolio profits better than a random
>selection strategy."

They obviously wrote this before the mid 1990s.

>This is only one study but I have never seen any study that showed that
>reoptimization actually helped.  However if you give any value to anecdotal
>evidence there are many traders that seem to be fond of this questionable
>technique.

Any trading system on the S&P that uses fixed parameters instead of
adapting itself to volatility changes (Swinger2 comes to mind) would
have needed to be re-optimized periodically throughout the 1990s as
Average True Range steadily increased.  I have noticed some of my
systems also perform quite differently before and after 11 Sept 2001.
The parameters needed for good performance are different before and
after those dates.

--
 //  \
 // __)    Unicorn Research Corporation -- http://unicorn.us.com