Re: Replacement system for Supercharts + Easy Language Translator.

On Wed, 14 Aug 2002, Volker Knapp wrote:

> Thanks for mentioning Wealth-Lab as an replacement. But what makes you think
> that the WL programming language is at a lower level? I am 100% sure it is
> at a much higher level then EL. Maybe you can point it out to me a bit more
> precise so that I can follow you?
>
> Thanks in advance.
>
> Volker Knapp
> Wealth-Lab Inc.
> http://www.wealth-lab.com
> http://www.wealth-lab.de

I don't have a specific example to give you, but what I remember of the language
is that you must explicitely code processing price series data and specifically
code looking at previous days data. As such, in one language you have the
built in syntatic sugar to say

 value1 = close - close[1];

vs

 value1 = priceseries(0) - priceseries(-1);

The first is a higher-level language syntatically because it hides some of
the grittier(?) aspects of dealing with the data than the second.

I prefer the second for many reasons, but there are aspects of the first
that are more 'elegant'. The problem I most commonly have with the first
is that the langauge (EL) tries to 'help' me too much. I want more explicit
control of the language and what it is doing/calculating (as in the second)
than daily coding around the 'help' given by the first (EL).

Since EL is 'helping' so much in the processing of data a translator is
more difficult to write, but not impossible. The translator must hide
through macros or other means the implicit price series generation that
happens within EL code.

--

"Syntatic sugar leads to cancer of the semi-colon." - Larry Wall