Re: CSI Data Nightmare

I called CSI today to ask about any impending changes.  It was initially confusing but I
learned a few things worth passing along.

Yes, CSI is considering limiting users to a limit of 59 commodities in a portfolio.  I don't
know if it's a done deal.  Key terms are "commodity/market" and "portfolio".   By
"commodity/market" they mean mean a single futures contract, e.g. corn, s&p, etc.  They did
not specify a limit on months, so I assume july corn and dec corn would count as a single
commodity -- I think (need to check that out).  Options are considered as separate
commodities, so all the option strikes on the s&p would be count as one single commodity
against the 59 limit.

Until the phone call, I hadn't been aware that CSI makes a distinction between downloading,
charting, and adding to a commodity to a portfolio.  So under the proposed change, there is
no limit to the number of commodities you can download, view, and chart.  However, the limit
kicks in when you go to save the commodity to a "portfolio"--that's where CSI wants to limit
you to 59 commodities.

Each commodity over the 59 limit will incur an annual charge of $1 per additional commodity.
If you want to add an additional commodity to your portfolio, you have to call up CSI with
your user ID and they will add it to their server.  For existing Unfair Advantage users, the
changes and charges won't take effect until you renew your contract.

CSI's stated rationale is cost savings.  They claim to have done several studies showing that
most users save fewer than 59 commodities in their portfolios.  To compensate, I was told
that the annual cost of subscribing to a comprehensive package such as "world futures" would
drop from the current $700 plus to somewhere in the $540 range.  That's what I was told,
don't take it as gospel truth.

I've been very satisfied with CSI over the years.  Since one of its strengths is the breadth
of its market coverage, I was very dismayed to hear about the proposed 59 commodity limit.
Upon further review, the changes don't seem so bad:  I will still be able to download and
view any number of contracts; the incremental cost of adding further contracts in a portfolio
is cheap; and there's a chance that my base subscription rate will drop significantly.

I hope I've explained things accurately and clearly, but if you have further questions you
should contact CSI directly.

Regards,
Galen Cawley