Re: Jaws of Death Strategy - by Larry Williams

Alexander:

I see you at "dream finance" view Larry's work with cynicism.

I have to say that after I read his book "Long Term Secrets to Short Term Trading" I saw a LOT of holes in his strategies. For one, a lot of critical things were missing in some strategies in order to backtest to try to duplicate his results (he never furnishes .ela's or .els's which would make it all too easy).

However, I gotta hand it to the guy he was the first I am aware of that identified the relationship between the bonds and the S&P's (example would be his jaws of death trade) and another fairly reliable trade is his Oops trade.

While a lot of traders feel they have to shovel through his B.S. and hype - I have found some things he has pointed out first (among a large field of copycats) which are true, and can make you a lot of money.

Your analogy of countertrend brakeout is not quite accurate, his JOD strategy is more like finding a "topping" action, with the bonds showing you the way early --- and when using daily bonds to first identify the pattern it often gives more "punch" and/or more duration to the selloff.

While we can all debate Larry's marketing side, you gotta give the guy some credit for his 2 or more decades of research, plus if you really are a serious detractor and want to make a statement I suggest you should consider trading against him as per the challenge on his website. If you got something valuable or constructive to contribute then share it with us all -- if not, no need to comment.

By the way, I came up with the stop and the 2 time frames, but regardless of me giving credit to Larry, I was really just looking for other traders to take a long, hard look at the phenomena and perhaps come up with a better way to trade it. I don't vare who discovered it or gave it a Hollywood name, I just want collaborate with others to fine tune it.

Frank