Re: Stops

Mike Kittleson wrote:
>I trade the currencies on a EOD basis and the system I
>use has two trailing stops.  The avergage winning
>trade is 51 days and avegage losing trade is 16 days.
>The stops work fine but I am looking to see if I can
>improve performance.

Is your stop adaptive in any way?  A stop that responds to changes
in market noise seems to work well for me.

>I have just started testing Max Favorble Excursion and
>Max Adverse excursion by Sweeney.  Has anyone used
>this technique to a good result?

I've seen it, but never looked into it.

>Also, I am reviewing the number of days in either a
>losing or winning trade and seeing if can use this as
>an additional stop strategy. What are your experiences
>with using days in a trade to be a part of an exit
>strategy?

Jack Hershey has a rule that says "if the trade isn't profitable
after X bars, then dump the position no matter what."  I can't argue
with his wealth, so he may be on to something.  I tried this on
one or two of my strategies, and it appears to be a good rule but
requires some optimization.

--
 //  \
 // __)    Unicorn Research Corporation -- http://unicorn.us.com