Backtesting

Hello Group,

                      I have a question I was hoping some of you might be
willing to answer. I am doing some back-testing in order to optimize the
inputs on a system that I've developed. The time required to complete this
process seems rather excessive, five hundred hours. Is there any way to
speed up the back-testing process, or is the time required simply a function
of the number of variables in the equation and the limitations of the user's
hardware.? Your comments would be greatly appreciated.

Happy Trading,

Ron.