Re: Dual Processor

Hello Rundy,

RB> Date: Mon, 17 Jun 2002 16:25:58 -0500
RB> From: Rundy Bradley <rundy@xxxxxxxxxx>
RB> Subject: Dual Processor
RB> To: tradersh@xxxxxxxxxxxx

RB> Hi Jackson,

RB> I saw your recent Omega post, and I wanted to ask you a question.

RB> I have a dual processor computer with Windows 2000.  When TS2000i is
RB> open, the following TS2000i processes are active:
RB> Server.exe, ORTrade.exe, GSW32.exe, and TS32.exe.

RB> All four of those Tradestation-related processes have an Affinity
RB> setting in which both processors (CPU 0 and CPU 1) are Clicked with
RB> Check marks.

RB> If you change the Affinity setting for the GSW32.exe process to be
RB> checked for only one CPU, what do you do for the other three
RB> Tradestation-related processes (Server.exe, ORTrade.exe, and TS32.exe)?
RB> do you recommend changing their Affinity settings so only one CPU is
RB> Checked?
RB> If so, what would you recommend for the Affinity processor settings for
RB> all four Tradestation-related processes?
RB> (i.e. two processes on one CPU and the other two processes on another
RB> CPU?  which ones?)

RB> Also, since the Charting module is designed to only utilize one CPU,
RB> what advantage do you get when you make these changes?

RB> Rundy

I am using dual Athlon MP 1600+ with Windows 2000. So far I find that
the system manage the cpu usage very well even for programs that does
not utilise multiprocessing system. For example when I run global
server the task monitor show that total cpu use is about 50% with the
load shared amount CPU0 and CPU1 then I also start tradestation and
run some optimisation the total CPU usage show reaching 100%. This
mean that the system is smart enough to manage the app. usage
dynamically without user intervention yet provide stability and
responsiveness when many app. running at the same time.

I had try to play around with affinity but things does get unstable and
I don't recommend you try to set the affinity.

--
Best regards,
 Jackson                            mailto:tradersh@xxxxxxxxxxxx