Re: Quiet PC components

At 10:01 PM 6/7/2002 , you wrote:

>So as soon as I get around to it, I plan to get a Zalman "Flower" CPU
>heatsink from
>http://www.quietpcusa.com/acb/showdetl.cfm?&DID=8&Product_ID=20&CATID=3
>
>This amazing beastie can cool an Athlon 2000+ almost by itself, with no
>fan, but they recommend the add-on fan (slow speed, very quiet) to make
>sure you get sufficient cooling.
>
>Looks cool too.  :-)
>Gary

I have a friend using the Zalman "Flower" heatsink on an Athlon T-Bird
1.4ghz CPU.  He's has 60 degrees celcius as his CPU temperature.  It's not
the greatest of coolers!  Subjectively, I also didn't think it was that
quiet.  A better solution might be this heatsink:

http://store.yahoo.com/directron/8045t.html  (you can check if it will fit
your motherboard here: http://www.micforg.co.jp/mb_inf_pal8045e.html)

Coupled with this silent (12db noise) 80mm fan:
http://store.yahoo.com/directron/papst8cm.html

Or with this very quiet (21db noise) 80 mm fan
http://store.yahoo.com/directron/sf8025l.html

A third alternative would be this fan which has similar specs to the Vantec
in slow mode, but which allows you to manually turn up the speed/cooling if
you need it:
http://store.yahoo.com/directron/uc8fab.html

The benefit of the latter two fans is the extra cooling, plus they are 3
wire fans, so the motherboard can monitor the RPM and control it.  The
Papst is only 4-pin to the power supply, possibly requiring RPM sensing to
be turned off in the BIOS in order to boot.  But it is totally silent and
reviews suggest that this Heatsink/fan in non-overclocked mode will work
just dandy.  Personally I'd go with this Vantec for the slightly better
cooling.  21db is pretty damned quiet as it is!

Simon.