From: "Bob Fulks" <bfulks@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
To: <omega-list@xxxxxxxxxx>
Cc: "Melody Blais" <mblais@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>; "President"
<OfficeOfTheCEO@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Sent: Thursday, March 28, 2002 6:12 PM
Subject: Re: An open letter to TradeStation users from Bill and Ralph Cruz

: At 2:57 PM -0500 3/28/02, Melody Blais wrote:
:
: >An open letter from Bill and Ralph Cruz has just been posted addressing
: >numerous changes in our business policy and pricing based on user
requests.
: >I thought you might like to see it.
:
: Assuming they are serious about again becoming a supplier of trading
: software, (albeit connected to a real-time data feed), what features
: do the members of this list think that the company would have to add
: to TradeStation 6 to allow it to TOTALLY REPLACE TS2000i and TS4.0?
:
: The letter says, "you've spoken and we've listened". Maybe they will
: listen again...
:
: Here is my list below. I have TradeStation 4.0 and TradeStation
: 2000i but not TradeStation 6 so some of these items may already be in
: the product. I would like nothing better than being able to retire
: these old products and move to a better version...
:
: Please post your ideas as well while they seem to be in a "listening
: mood".
:
: Bob Fulks
:
: ----
:
: Bad Ticks
:
: Bad ticks happen - that is a fact of life. They can have bad-tick
: filters to improve things but we will still get some. It is
: unrealistic to assume that their staff can fix all of them promptly
: so it seems necessary to allow the user to correct or delete bad
: ticks locally on their systems as we can with TS2000i.
:
:
: Historical Data Resolution
:
: They now provide historical data with resolution down to 1-minute
: bars. (They supply 1-tick bars but only very little data - far too
: little for meaningful backtesting.) 1-minute bars are simply too
: course for trading today. Many symbols have several hundred ticks per
: minute and waiting a full minute for a new bar seems like an eternity
: now days. We certainly do not need the 40,000 bars per day of a
: 1-tick chart for backtesting but we do need something better than
: 1-minute resolution. I think 0.1-minute (6 second) resolution would
: be OK (although 1 second would be better).
:
: Using 0.1-minute resolution would require only 4000 bars in a day for
: high volume symbols such as ES or CSCO (instead of the present 400
: one-minute bars or 40,000 tick-bars). I would think there could be
: some compression algorithm that would make this more efficient for
: storage and transmission.
:
: The extension of the EasyLanguage statements could be pretty simple
: using one place after the decimal:
:
:    if Time = 1203.2 then ....
:
: The precision of TradeStation could handle this. Having 0.1-minute
: resolution would pretty much eliminate the need for having a lot of
: 1-tick data for backtesting.
:
:
: Ability to Use Existing Data
:
: We all have lots of existing data - going far back in time. We need
: to be able to use that data for backtesting. The ability to load OMZ
: and XPO files into a chart (even if they are not stored in a server)
: would be a great convenience. ASCII might be OK but it is pretty
: verbose. Alternately, they could supply extensive, accurate,
: historical data down to 0.1 minute resolution but it seems
: unrealistic that they would ever have all the data we need.
:
:
: Reliability of Internet Feeds
:
: I have been using DynaStore with QFeed for several months now and
: QFeed is barely reliable enough day-in and day-out for trading
: real-time. The Internet mechanism still has lots of possibilities for
: missing or delayed data. Severe Internet congestion can delay packets
: for as much as a minute or two.
:
: I previously used BMI. I have friends that use DTN satellite. These
: are rock solid because the broadcast mechanism is fundamentally more
: reliable than the Internet. A winning combination would be historical
: data-on-demand for loading a chart, as they do now, plus satellite
: data to update the charts on a tick-by-tick basis.
:
:
: Incompatibilities with Previous Versions
:
: Users report that programs that work in TS2000i work differently in
: Version 6. (Missing divide-by-zero checks in internal function
: libraries, different command syntax, functions re-written such that
: they now do not work correctly if you change inputs such as "Length"
: from bar to bar, etc.)
:
: They should make Version 6 upward compatible with version 5 and
: Version 4 programs to simplify the migration of the present
: customers. Obviously, if it is hard to migrate or TradeStation 6 is
: missing features of TS2000i and TS4.0, users would need both
: TradeStation 6 and an older version for research. Then, we have to
: ask ourselves, "Is having on-line data worth the trouble of having
: two different versions of the platform?"
:
:
: Second Copies
:
: Most of us have one workstation for trading and one or more for
: development. I originally bought two copies of TradeStation 4.0 for
: this purpose. I do not know their policy for this but some reasonable
: price for a development station (using intraday data but not
: requiring real-time data) would be needed.
:
: I understand that the new "research version" only works on
: "end-of-day data". That will not do it. It has to also allow
: intraday data - even ASCII might be OK (but there ought to be
: some more compressed format such "real" zipped ASCII.)
:
:
: Quality
:
: As we all know, many of the customers have never moved from Version 4
: to TS2000i. The main reason was the issue of quality. There are
: just too many defects in their software!
:
: It took until build 16 for TradeStation 4.0 to be usable, It took
: until about Service pack 4 until TradeStation 2000i was usable. I
: understand that Version 6 is finally becoming usable.
:
: In a prior life, I was a VP of Engineering of a major software
: company supervising several hundred software engineers around the
: world. I know that developing quality software is no longer an art
: but requires very well developed processes and modern development
: tools. Their software development processes need major improvements!
:
: There is no excuse for such poor quality today. It has been proven
: over and over that high quality software saves much more in support
: costs that it costs to produce. And now that customers are using the
: software in real time to trade, the potential liabilities of paying
: damages for customers losses due to bugs should make the tradeoff
: obvious. This has to become a major priority!
:
:
: Summary
:
: I do not have Version 6 so this list is compiled from comments by
: people who have tried it. As I said, the information may not be
: up-to-date. But if they are serious about migrating all of their
: customers and keeping the software licensing fees coming in, then
: it seems clear that there is still a ways to go...
:
: Bob Fulks
: