RAID1 warning

This post is a warning.

After an HD failure, I sought the perfect solution and installed raid1
(mirroring on 2 HD) by using an Adaptec card. Afterwards, I found out
(the hard way) that DriveImage (or Ghost) can not be used for backup
with raid1 (other raids, 0, 5, etc. are OK). This is due to these
products (and I assume others like them) not being able to boot into DOS
mode with raid1 hardware. No mention of this on either their web sites
or user manuals! They will give a refund if the product is returned to
them.

The W2K backup program appears to work with the raid1.

It was not clear what caused the HD failure. It did not appear to be
mechanical as the disk spins and the head arm moves. It might have been
a virus or a cosmic ray. The HD just is not seen by the computer. Very
frustrating.