Re: Alternatives to name brands

Looking to replace my Win95 233 machine and, even though I'm a dyed in the wool
HP fan, their proprietary machines have given me incentive to look elsewhere for
open hardware. Has anyone had any experience with Elite, AM-Comps, Legend et al
or know where I can obtain critiqes/reviews of these machines? Some of the deals
on Ubid.com look good.

Don't get me wrong. I still like HP's, having a 500 & a 900 Pavilion. But I made
the mistake of upgrading the 500, running TS4, from W98 to W2k, against HP's
recommendation. Some things still don't work right to the point where I've
actually considered doing what one guy on the HP Community Forum did. That is,
get all the "HP" out of the machine that is possible, including the Mobo, HD,
Modem, CD-RW etc. Doesn't seem cost effective to me but it worked for him.

TIA

Sherrill Styers