RE: Forward Optimization

I've messed around with this a little.

Dennis Meyers has messed around with it a lot.  I notice you have a link to
his web site from yours.  He's also published many articles in trading mags.

http://www.meyersanalytics.com/

The idea is to optimize parameters of a trading system on a segment of
historical data (for intraday systems, Meyers likes 4 weeks), test the
performance on a segment just foward of that (Meyers likes 1 week), and keep
inching along (in this case 1 week at a time).  Meyers uses longer time
frames for non-intraday systems.

It's a way to get lots of instances of in-sample optimization followed by
out-of-sample testing, to see whether a system is any good.  However, there
is a big "if" here which has big practical implications:  this makes sense
IF optimization on relatively short data segments produces the best overall
results.  I have found intraday systems that produce poor results in this
kind of walk-forward optimization, but produce good results when optimized
on, say one year's data, and then tested on an out-of-sample year.

You can do walk forward optimization in TradeStation two ways:  1) the easy
tedious way:  manually;  2) the hard, tricky way:  automate it.  In trying
to do number 2, the difference between a bug-free platform and TradeStation
tends to become more obvious than usual, in my experience.  Also, some
things may not be feasible to automate, like buying or selling on a stop,
because automation requires writing a system that doesn't really trade, but
just tells you when it would have traded.

I have stated on this forum in the past that this is a worthwhile feature to
include in a platform.  The right place to implement this feature is clearly
at the platform level, not in application code inside a platform.