Re: Off topic: Windows ME -- the whole answer (IMHO :-))

I run Windows ME too and have spent a lot of time looking at RAM and
processor utilization as well as resources.  Don't bother with ram or
processor utilization as the killer is resources.  Also don't bother with
the "save your system" programs as they just use up more resources and speed
up the problem!

Tradestations problem is that it is a System Resource Hog.  With 95, 98 or
ME the System resources are limited and fixed and when TS runs you out or
resources it does it quickly and catastrophically - almost never giving you
a recovery option.

The ultimate solution is to install NT, 2000 or XP which have dynamic
allocation of system resources.

If you want to persevere with ME then either shut everything you can down (I
just run my Macro express for keyboard shortcuts, Word 97 for notes (it uses
less resources than many notepad products) and TS).  If you do this I still
have problems with more than 3 workspaces/25 open charts or if I've been
doing something before that uses up System Resources and doesn't give them
back = everything.  I also run resource meter so I can think about shutting
the system down every so often as things slowly get worse during the day.

The other thing you can do is download Faber Toys (free) from

http://www.faberbox.com/fabertoys.asp

Use this to shut down some of the heavier processes that Microsoft starts up
and that you may not need.  You can also edit the items that get started
when windows starts - if its not started your system will be cleaner.

But the only real solution is another OS!

John