Designing your own system

Hi,

I am a newbie to TS and system designing. From what I've read and
gathered, it seems that the common and recurring advise that a lot is to
design your own system.

The confusion that I am having here is when they advise to design our
own system, does it mean taking some common available indicators and put
them together into a strategy, or does it mean that we should come up
with and design our own proprietary indicators and incorporate them into
our strategy and throw all the common ones out the window?

tks