GIF files

I am about to begin working with another investor so that we can both
benefit from our joint efforts.

In order to do this we will be exchanging "gif"  files with each other.
When received we will both be making notations and drawings on the files
we receive so we can then send them back to the originator for their
review.

Question is, what program can we use to do this?  None of the
"accessories" available with Windows will do so.  Nothing sophisticated
is required, just the ability to graphically alter what we get and then
send it back.

Any help would be sincerely appreciated, and if the program was
shareware or freeware so much the better.

Thanks,

Richard Funkhouser