RE: How do I get a good symbol list on globalserver or Radarscreen?

Jack,

Until I had a hard disk crash in December (still
re-building : not as well backed up as I thought), I
used Quotes Plus scan progarm to automatically create
custom symbol lists and put them in CSL directory.
Should be able to do something simiular with many
other similar data programs or web sites like Market
Guide.

If you have MS Access and TS2K, wrt the bigger problem
of limiting the Globalserver data so that do not keep
and collect lots of useless data, I did the following
(it's messy but it works, is quicker to do than it
sounds, and does not need to be done very often) :

1. Export all data from GS
2. Create a list of symbols with names and exchanges
for all companies you expect you might trade (eg I
picked 1500 largest and highest daily volume)
3. Using Tools, Edit Symbol Dict to make it easy to
spot adjustment to a company already in the Universe
file in Universe directory.  This will tell you what
the format in the Universe file is for the data feed
you are using.
4. Open Universe.mdb file with Access and export the
stock table to excel.
5. Edit excel file so that you delete all lines except
the edited company.
6. Use edited line as example to setup a file for all
the units you want to track.  If you want option roots
to be set up correctly, this could be a tricky task.
I did not bother much with option root stuff as I do
not use it - you can leave all those columns blank if
you do not need roots - I used same symbol as for
company.
7. Delete all rows in the Universe.mdb stock table and
then import the updated excel file.
8. Delete all stock lines in GS, then select insert
symbols and use * to pick up all companies.  This will
now just be the companies listed in your new
Universe.mdb file.
9. Re-import your data for just the companies in the
globalserver list.

Obviously make a backup of the Universe file before
doing any of this.
You then only have data for the companies you want.
Can just update data for these companies, or if add
other companies automatically from Historybank, all
other companies will not have a name and can easily be
deleted.

I know this is not a simple click and go solution, but
it may help someone.  My Universe file is 30Mb so I
cannot easily send it (made no other table
adjustments, have 1500 companies in the stock table).
Also, it is adjusted for my data feed and the
companies I am interested in so is not necessarily
useful for others.

Data in the Universe.mdb file is only used when a
symbol is added to the Globalserver.  Once the symbol
is in the globalserver, the info in the Universe file
has no impact on the settings for that symbol.

As TT have not updated the Universe file for a long
time, the stock info in it is very out of date.