Re: the ultimate .............

Colin West <cwest@xxxxxxxxxxxx> writes:
>Here's a configuration to think about.
>
>Use a rack.
>You can add upto 40 U1s
>You can put switches, hubs, routers or whatever in the same rack
>One UPS for the whole rack.
>Video & keyboard switcher (VKS) if you'd prefer that to "software switching"
>
>Now run a network cable &/or a VKS cable to another room.
>Voilą! No noise.

Interesting, and certainly a good approach for new equipment.
I seem to keep adding machines, without retiring the old ones;
they seem to be useful for various odd jobs, so why not.

Much of the noise comes from the hard drives, and it seems
the quietest ones spin the slowest, meaning long seek times.
And those tempting dual-processor boards like the Tyan K-7
seem to want lots of cooling, and even if you get the quietest
fans, if you have enough of them, there's more noise.

I'm thinking of building a soundproof box to put all the computers
in---then I won't be at the mercy of noise specs on the components.
Similar to Colin's approach, but it lets me keep my old iron.  The
large, slow squirrelcage providing feed air to the box will draw
through a screen that I can easily clean, so the insides of the
computers will get a bit less dust.  And I'll have a duct switch for
summer/winter, to heat the office with the exhaust or not.

Jim