[EquisMetaStock Group] Re: Buy High or Low? - an informal poll

Jose,

Poses some interesting thoughts but IMO there are only 2 events that
you will know...the open and the close. The low and high will not be
known until after the open and right at the close. As far as the
profit it would be nice if we knew the trend. Since everything is
unknown my answer would be:
4) I don't know

Preston

--- In equismetastock@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx, "Jose Silva"
<josesilva22@xxx> wrote:

> I've posted this poll on another usergroup, but it is currently
> attracting little interest there.  The question deals with our
> perception of the market vs its reality.
>
> I can't post a Poll here, but it would be interesting to get some
> informal results of members' opinions.

> Strategy Y:
>
> Buy Long when Close is within 4% of today's High.
> (Buy Long at next day's Open when the Close is near the top of
> today's High-Low range).
>
> Sell Long when Close is within 4% of today's Low
> (Sell Long at next day's Open when the Close is near the bottom of
> today's High-Low range).
>

> Strategy X (Y reversed):
>
> Buy Long when Close is within 4% of today's Low
> (Buy Long at next day's Open when the Close is near the bottom of
> today's High-Low range).
>
> Sell Long when Close is within 4% of today's High.
> (Sell Long at next day's Open when the Close is near the top of
> today's High-Low range).
>

> Question:
> Which trading strategy is likely to be more profitable, Y or X?
>
> 1) Strategy Y
> 2) Strategy X
> 3) no difference - both are identical
> 4) I don't know

> To make it easier to visualize the simple condition signals, below
is
> the MS indicator code:
>
> ==============
> Poll indicator
> ==============
> ----8<-------------------------------------
>
> {©Copyright 2006 Jose Silva.
>   For personal use only - trade at own risk.
>   http://metastocktools.com }
>
> { User inputs }
> pr1:=Input("Entry: min Close's % dist [0~100%] from bar's
> Low",0,100,4)/100;
> pr2:=Input("Exit: min Close's % dist [0~100%] from bar's
> High",0,100,4)/100;
> rev:=Input("Reverse Close position condition?  [0]No,
> [1]Yes",0,1,0) ;
> plot:=Input("Signals:  [1]Clean,  [2]All,  [3]Trade binary",1,3,1);
> delay:=Input("Entry and Exit delay",0,5,0);
>
> { Close x% of High-Low range signals }
> rangePos:=(C-L)/Max(H-L,.00001);
> entry1:=rangePos<=pr1;
> exit1:=rangePos>=(1-pr2);
>
> { Reverse signals? }
> entry:=If(rev,exit1,entry1);
> exit:=If(rev,entry1,exit1);
>
> { Clean signals }
> init:=Cum(IsDefined(entry+exit))=1;
> bin:=ValueWhen(1,entry-exit<>0 OR init,entry);
> long:=bin*(Alert(bin=0,2)
>  OR entry*Cum(entry)=1);
> short:=(bin=0)*(Alert(bin,2)
>  OR exit*Cum(exit)=1);