[EquisMetaStock Group] A Volume-Price Divergence Finder

Friends:
        Andrew 've shown that my price oscilator was invented by
DiNapoli (italian ?) :)
Here there is a indicator to see how strong is a negative divergence
between volume and price.
I hope It has no copyright!!!!!!

{ VP-DIV: Finder of negative divergences between volume and price }
Periods:=5; {5 or 6 are the best values tested}
If(V<Mov(V,Periods,E) AND V<Ref(V,-Periods) AND C>Mov(C,Periods,E) AND C>Ref(C,-Periods),-Mov(V,Periods,S)/Mov(V,100,S),0);
{Pablo Bozzolo - May 2006}

Where  Mov(V,Periods,S)/Mov(V,100,S),0)  try  to  be  a measure of the
strenght of divergence.

Sometimes when a huge divergence is shown the price don't go down but
it enters in a trading zone (neutral).

I use this indicator daily.
Good luck!
          Pablo

PD: sorry because when I try to write fast in english I make a lot of
mistakes.

AT> Hi Paolo

AT> The oscillator you are describing is simply showing the deviation of the
AT> close from an exponential moving average expressed on a percentage basis. It
AT> is similar to a number of oscillators described in the literature - e.g.
AT> DiNapoli's detrended oscillator, which is the close minus the MA. The only
AT> difference here is expressing the change on a percentage basis and using an
AT> EMA instead of a SMA. If you normalize the deviation by dividing by the
AT> standard deviation you get a Bollinger Band variant (close to %b) if you
AT> normalize by ATR you get what I call the Moving Average Deviation. It is
AT> used in many cases (e.g. DiNapoli) as on overbought/oversold indicator. You
AT> and every other user are, of course, free to use it in whatever way you
AT> like.

AT> With respect, the '-1' is not cosmetic. Mathematically, C/MA -1 is the same
AT> as (C-MA)/MA, i.e. the deviation of the close from the MA expressed as a
AT> percentage of the MA.

AT> It's great fun playing with indicators in MetaStock. And varying the
AT> formulae can be a good way to appreciate how they work. But you do often
AT> find that someone had the same idea already.

AT> Best
AT> Andrew

br>>   What parameters do you use with the Ultimate ROC?

AT> Dear Bill,
AT>           the only parameter in this very-simple indicator is the 'number of
AT> periods' (days) of the moving average.
AT> By default it's 12.
AT> So the formula can be more simple yet:

AT> (CLOSE / (Mov(CLOSE,12,E) )) -1 ;

AT> The "-1" is just cosmetic :)

AT> "Andrew Tomlinson" <andrew_tomlinson@xxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:

>> Like  any  other  oscillator,  though,  it  can  show  overbought or
>> oversold  conditions that are surprisingly persistent, so you should
>> always wait for price confirmation.

AT> Andrew: this indicator do not show overbough or persistent oversold
AT> conditions. It's very diferent to RSI or Stochastic oscilators.
AT> Thank U very much for your comments :)

AT> Pablo

AT> ------------------------ Yahoo! Groups Sponsor --------------------~-->
AT> Everything you need is one click away.  Make Yahoo! your home page now.
AT> http://us.click.yahoo.com/AHchtC/4FxNAA/yQLSAA/BefplB/TM

AT> Yahoo! Groups Links

Pablo Bozzolo

---