Re: [EquisMetaStock Group] Daytrading Dow30 with CFDs. Strategies?

Hi,

Firstly, you may think you are not paying Commissions - but if you
are trading on a 4 Tick Spread in a market where you can trade the
futures for a 1 Tick spread you are paying a lot more spread than any
commission you would pay!! CFDs are really just undated futures
contracts that can be rolled out for an interest cost. Futures are
cheaper to trade.

I was speaking with Larry Williams last week for the seminars he is
doing in Australia and New Zealand and he has been trading a lot of
Forex and he has found a way to trade Forex without much spread at
all - says he is having great fun trading forex. Should be real
interesting to watch Larry Williams trade Forex live at the Million
Dollar Challenge.

Secondly, if when day trading one needs tight spreads, lower
commissions and more volatility than normal end of day trading
markets. Levarage means costs are a little lower for the position
size but traders need to be able to scratch trades quick - with a 4
Tick spread scratching a trade is punishing - as it means 8 Ticks
Spread on Entry and Exit.

If the Bucket Shops (read Reminiscences of a Stock Operator ) hedge
your trade (if they hedge - because usually they just bet that you
will lose your dough) using the underlying futures.  The marketing
director of a big Bucket Shop told me a few years ago they worked on
the stats that 90% of their customers lose, so they just  often hold
the trades their customers give them. Then run their own price made
market to hit the stops and take their profits when undercapitalised
and scared customers stop themselves out).

So you are actually better off trading the underlying that the bucket
shop would use to manage its risk. Undercapitalised and Smaller size
accounts could consider the Mini Contracts.

Regards
David Hunt
http://www.adest.com.au

At 07:54 AM 9/05/2006, you wrote:
>Hello all,
>
>I have just opened up a CFD trading account to take
>advantage of commission free trading on the major
>indices.  Concentrating on the DOW for now.   There is
>a constant 4 point spread on the bid ask through CMC
>Markets.
>
>I was wondering if anyone here is trading the DOW
>intraday and if they would mind sharing their
>experiences with me privately or on the board.
>
>I am currently looking at the 15 minute chart and the
>5 minute chart, with MA's of 3,5,8,10 12 on the 15 and
>5,10,20 on the 5 min chart.
>
>Using the Elder Ray, RSI, and MACD as my indicators.
>No volume available.
>
>I trade breakouts above or below the first bar of the
>day and try to gauge the longevity of the run using
>the MA's and indicators.
>
>But I find that I am still guessing too much.  And the
>index seems to swing pretty wildly compared to stocks.
>It just feels different and I get uncertain about how
>far to let a trade turn against me before selling for
>a profit or loss.
>
>I have always been more of a swing trader but looking
>for strategies to daytrade the dow and take advantage
>of the leverage and lack of commissions here.   Can't
>hold overnight as interest is charged despite your
>cash balance.
>
>Any advice appreciated.

>finance course
><http://groups.yahoo.com/gads?t=ms&k=Business+to+business+finance&w1=Business+finance+course&w2=Business+to+business+finance&w3=Small+business+finance&w4=Business+finance+consultant&w5=Business+finance+magazine&w6=Business+finance+schools&c=6&s=185&.sig=fCzze7cxm1K7TVKkzAaOrA>Business
>to business finance
><http://groups.yahoo.com/gads?t=ms&k=Small+business+finance&w1=Business+finance+course&w2=Business+to+business+finance&w3=Small+business+finance&w4=Business+finance+consultant&w5=Business+finance+magazine&w6=Business+finance+schools&c=6&s=185&.sig=v9sWAno7Kz4WuL8Tadcdhw>Small
>business finance
><http://groups.yahoo.com/gads?t=ms&k=Business+finance+consultant&w1=Business+finance+course&w2=Business+to+business+finance&w3=Small+business+finance&w4=Business+finance+consultant&w5=Business+finance+magazine&w6=Business+finance+schools&c=6&s=185&.sig=d1xwT3WL0E6XBf6cAV5BXA>Business
>finance consultant
><http://groups.yahoo.com/gads?t=ms&k=Business+finance+magazine&w1=Business+finance+course&w2=Business+to+business+finance&w3=Small+business+finance&w4=Business+finance+consultant&w5=Business+finance+magazine&w6=Business+finance+schools&c=6&s=185&.sig=qphRINaNuVm_6bwoQxgUmg>Business
>finance magazine
> [...]

Regards
David Hunt
http://www.adest.com.au
p: + 612 9527 4690

Warning and Disclaimer: This is general information not prepared for
your specific investment objectives, financial situation or needs.
consult a licenced investment adviser before making investment
decisions. Our information, products, seminars and lectures are for
information only and are not an invitation to trade in a financial
product. * past performance is no indication of futures results.
Unless specifically stated otherwise, any information contained in
this has been prepared without taking into account your objectives,
financial situation or needs.  Before acting on any information (or
advice) in this site, ADEST recommends that you consider whether it
is appropriate for your circumstances.  If this email contains
reference to any financial products, ADEST recommends that you obtain
current Product Disclosure Statements (PDS) or other disclosure
documents for those particular products and consider this information
before making any decisions regarding the products. The seminars and
lectures by ADEST are for information only and are not an invitation
to trade in a financial product. Consult your appropriately Licenced
Adviser before making any decision.
No Advice Given. We do not give financial advice and are no licenced to do so.
----------------------
Warning and disclaimer:
This email is dedicated to the education & study of speculation and
investment techniques.
all trading and investment techniques carry a risk or loss as well as
the potential for profit.
Nothing in this email is to be construed as financial advice nor
should be seen as appropriate to your circumstances. you need to
assess with or without the help of a suitably licensed investment
adviser in your country whether trading or investing suits your circumstances.
The choice to undertake one of our seminars or videos or books means
that you accept responsibility for your own trading outcomes and
agree to test and verify any methods discussed therein before making
any trading decision and decide whether it suits your circumstances.
The results you see on our website may or may not be actual results.
Some may be hypothetical in which case you will see an asterix and a
pointer to cftc rule 4.41 about hypothetical results.
* past performance is no guarantee of future performance
--------------
CFTC rule 4.41
---------------
- hypothetical or simulated performance results have certain
limitations. unlike an actual performance record, simulated results
do not represent actual trading. also, since the trades have not been
executed, the results may have under-or-over compensated
for the impact, if any, of certain market factors, such as lack of
liquidity. simulated trading programs in general are also subject to
the fact that they are designed with the benefit of hindsight.
no representation is being made that any account will or is likely to
achieve profit or losses similar to those shown. do not risk any
money you can not afford to lose.
ASIC Information
Notice read this  - to comply with the asic ids guidelines (internet
communication of security information) asic recommends before acting
on the basis of what is said in this communication you should review:-
(1) asic's web site at www.asic.gov.au has a list of licensed advisors.
(2) visit asic's consumer website www.watchdog.asic.gov.au for
general guidance about investing.

http://us.click.yahoo.com/DHchtC/3FxNAA/yQLSAA/BefplB/TM