RE: Lag In Moving Avg

Manuel Barquin - Madrid
E-mail: mbarquin@xxxxxxxxxxxx

From: Andreas Grau <agrau@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
To: <metastock@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Sent: Sunday, February 11, 2001 9:29 PM
Subject: AW: Lag In Moving Avg

> I don't know what the HP stand for, I just took the name from the
following article:
> http://research.mpls.frb.fed.us/research/economists/ecpproj.html
> I found that many people are using the Kalman filter to smoothen data. I
simply translated the Fortran source code and into VBA for
> Excel.
>
> There is e.g. a research paper on the net that shows how to predict S&P
turning points using Hidden Markov Models based on Kalman
> smoothed data. To me there is too much math and too little magic in all
this, however I liked how narrow Kalman follows the input
> data.
>
> Still I have no clue how to trade this. I just figured that if Kalman
shows a change in trend (although some periods late) this
> trend change is valid. Backtesting this simple assumption, however, didn't
proof so far. Especially the smoothing factor makes a big
> difference.
>
> If you want to play with this XL sheet on your own data, simply cut n'
paste O,H,L,C into columns C to F (all other rows are ignored
> by the routine). Then check if you can live with the mean price
calculation (O+H+L+C)/4  or if you want Kalman to work on other
> input like C only, or a weighted price like (2*C+H+L)/4. Finally adjust
the formula range for djinHPfilter. Voila. You can now