Re: What a realistic system should look like?

  • To: metastock@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Subject: Re: What a realistic system should look like?
  • From: Herman van den Bergen <psytek@xxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Wed, 24 Oct 2001 10:08:13 -0700

At 05:40 PM 10/24/01 +0300, you wrote:
>Hello dear friends.
>There has been a long discussion about the criteria, which a good system
>should meet ...
>... Therefore, I am kindly asking each one of
>you to define your own criteria, completing the following table with values
>and/or providing additional criteria or comments.

Thank you, Stephanos, you mention very valid criteria, many of them I would
use to analyze systems I am developing. However, I am afraid I can't
answers most of your questions with specific numbers. But I can comment
with some un-written rules I follow:

1) I reject any system that generates less than, oh, perhaps 500% annually.
I test without commissions, slippage and stops. I expect the system to
produce far less in real life. It is not difficult to come up with such a
system however the best performing systems are cyclical systems: you have
to be patient and keep paper trading them until they sync with the market.
Design system-entry and system-exit rules.

2) I don't like drawdowns: if my equity drops by more than 10% for a
particular security I go cash. I keep paper trading my systems while in
Cash, for small draw-downs my Equity reentry point is the Equity's Highest
High. For major DDs I might consider going back in when I see my Equity
trend is reconfirmed with 3-4 positive trades. This approach may keep me in
cash for significantly long periods of time and limits my losses. It
reduces exposure to risk proportional to the time I am in Cash.

3) I don't believe in long term predictions, 3-4 days is all I believe in.
So all my systems are designed on frequent trading, about 2-8 days.

4) I test stops in Excel, the stops in MS don't work for me and give me
wrong results.

5) I translate Systems, or parts of systems, that I like and that have
reached some form of maturity into VBA/Excel. The reason being that I have
had a few occassion where MS gave me exceptional results that were due to,
well lets call it, program malfunctions.

5) I want my systems to work on many securities and occasinally run the
MSBT on ALL secutities in my computer, even the indices. This groups my
securities according to their responsiveness to different systems. I
probably reject 75% of the tests based on weird equity curves or unusable
stats.

Now, remember: I am a newby with limited trading experience. Like Stephanos,
I enjoy the development more than the actual trading. Don't follow any of
my methods unless you confirm them for yourself!

Happy development :-)
Herman.