The fun of developing systems (newbie views)

Thanks, discussions of late made "some not so often thought about" points
surface.

It may help you to be become successful AND happy (note the Boolean term!)
trader if you reflect on how you get your kicks in this game. I think I can
speak on behalf of most newbies with these points:

1) We love our tools: Computers, the Internet, some programming, 'meet'
some successful traders, and strike an occasional intellectual victory (as
we see it...). No doubt, Investment programs are among the best video games
around.

2) We can justify our time behind the computer. We tell our friends and
relatives that eventually we WILL SURELY make some money to pay for our
toys (computers, software and data). Only the brave add to that that you
consider yourself to have what it takes to be in the top 5% who succeed...

3) Ahh, and the excitement... I don't know what is more fun: to make a few
bucks or to get up in the middle of the night to try out a bright idea that
makes millions in backtesting...

4) Profit objectives are not the same for all of us. Most of us, I would
think, start as a hobby investor/trader and we are not aiming to become an
investment professional. The desire to become an Investment professional
comes after many years of consistent success not before - at least it
should. Most of us would be quite content to sync the market once or twice
in their lifetime, that's all we need. Just have a good exit strategy!

5) The 'need' to make money should be differentiated from the 'desire' to
make money trading. One doesn't, or at least, shouldn't start trading to
"earn a living". If you need money to buy bread: go get a job!

Ahh, well, enough said...

Have a great day,
Herman.