Re: stock splits

Tim,

I have 60+ Metastock folders holding some 2,100
stock issues.  In addition, some of those are duplicated in multiple
folders by price, exchange, or issue type.  It includes the S&P
500.

The way I handle the split issue is simple.  I
do my daily price download then I run a small eploration I wrote that finds the
common 2:1 splits, then another one that finds the 3:2 splits. I check the
lists produced against the Yahoo site, then use my data provider software
to afect the split.

Generally, it only adds about 3 - 6 minutes to my
nightly preparation time.  Then, on the weekend, I again go to a web
site such as Yahoo and scan their split list.  From that I pick up the
oddball splits that I missed such as the 5:1 and the 1:8.  The weekend
effort takes on average about 10 -15 minutes. A small price to pay.

In addition to this, I do a more manual review of a
potential trade before I take it.  This will show any other odball
conditions that surface.  Plus, I've downloaded BigEasyInvestor
and run its update about twice a week.  It reports splits
due for the week and splits that occurred today at market open.
Altogether, the effort to maintain the DB for
2,100 issues is about 1/2 hour per week total, with some weeks taking up to
a hour for that week.

I've heard that some data providers will update the
issue's back history if there is a split, but the one I use doesn't unless I
delete and readd the issue, which I don't.

Hope this helps ......... John