RE: stock splits

Thanks
for the reply John.  What does your data provider do to affect the
split?  Mine will adjust the data automatically.  This will produce
negative prices historically in some cases.  I'm not sure if this adjusting
history to reflect splits is OK or not.   I just want to be sure that
the prices reflect the true price swing turning points.  The software I
have written identifies price swings and their levels.
<FONT face=Arial color=#0000ff
size=2>
Thanks
again,
<FONT face=Arial color=#0000ff
size=2>Tim

  <FONT face=Tahoma
  size=2>-----Original Message-----From:
  owner-metastock@xxxxxxxxxxxxx [mailto:owner-metastock@xxxxxxxxxxxxx]On
  Behalf Of jhmtnSent: Sunday, January 21, 2001 1:12
  AMTo: metastock@xxxxxxxxxxxxxSubject: Re: stock
  splits
  Tim,

  I have 60+ Metastock folders holding some 2,100
  stock issues.  In addition, some of those are duplicated in multiple
  folders by price, exchange, or issue type.  It includes the S&P
  500.

  The way I handle the split issue is simple.
  I do my daily price download then I run a small eploration I wrote that finds
  the common 2:1 splits, then another one that finds the 3:2 splits. I
  check the lists produced against the Yahoo site, then use my data
  provider software to afect the split.

  Generally, it only adds about 3 - 6 minutes to my
  nightly preparation time.  Then, on the weekend, I again go to a web
  site such as Yahoo and scan their split list.  From that I pick up the
  oddball splits that I missed such as the 5:1 and the 1:8.  The weekend
  effort takes on average about 10 -15 minutes. A small price to
  pay.

  In addition to this, I do a more manual review of
  a potential trade before I take it.  This will show any other odball
  conditions that surface.  Plus, I've downloaded BigEasyInvestor
  and run its update about twice a week.  It reports splits
  due for the week and splits that occurred today at market open.
  Altogether, the effort to maintain the DB for
  2,100 issues is about 1/2 hour per week total, with some weeks taking up
  to a hour for that week.

  I've heard that some data providers will update
  the issue's back history if there is a split, but the one I use doesn't unless
  I delete and readd the issue, which I don't.

  Hope this helps ......... John