Chart test 2

Wall Street City ( www.wallstreetcity.com ) has online industry data.  Don't
know if it has exactly what you want.  I've been trying to figure out how to
easily get at industry strength/weakness also.  I'm just about decided on
the following approach (and would appreciate feedback):

1  A first problem one runs into in thinking about sector/industry analysis
is that different publishing organizations have different sector/industry
categories and categorize stocks differently.  The Pitbull Investor
 www.pitbull.com ) publishes a matrix of stocks and the industries they fall
into by publishing organization for $24.95.  I haven't seen anything close
to it in terms of getting at the fact that different publishing
organizations categorize stocks into different industries.  There are things
I'd like to see different in the book.  But it's a good start.

2  The Data CD sent with Metastock contains an "Indices" subdirectory.  I've
split off the "sector" and "industry" symbols into their own subdirectories.
I've also split out the S&P industry symbols.  In a previous note to this
list I said that one of the most valuable things I've done is to browse S&P
charts every week.  I'm still doing this and still find it valuable.  (One
could not help but notice the topping patterns.  But I'm sure that everyone
on this list is tired of hearing me talk about topping patterns. <g>)

3  But the problem is that I want to correlate volume with the various major
market and industry indices in a precise manner (i.e., not use NYSE volume
for DJIA volume but actual volume figures for the Dow30).  It seems like the
IRL product that Equis markets is an approach to doing this.  (See the
latest "Technical Analysis of Stocks and Commodities" for a review of IRL.)
I'm going to buy IRL this next week...

4  So, I guess the approach I've become focused on is to control what stocks
are in what industries myself, do the analysis myself, etc.

Steven Buss
Walnut Creek, CA
sbuss@xxxxxxxxxxx