Thanks! :-)

At 12:17 PM 10/31/97 -0500, Tom9641@xxxxxxx wrote: >In a message dated
97-10-31
07:37:03 EST, Steve Buss writes: > Date: 97-10-31 07:37:03 EST >
From: sbuss@xxxxxxxxxxx (Steven Buss) > Reply-to: sbuss@xxxxxxxxxxx (Steven
Buss) > To:   metastock-list@xxxxxxxxxxxxx (Metastock-list) > *deleted file
. .
.* > DL Time (28800 bps):  > So, in the spirit of the holiday, I've attached a
self-extracting executable > file "Dow_Boo!.exe".  It is an MS Word 6.0
document that contains two > charts.  One showing the Dow in 1986/1987 and the
other 1996/1997.  >> > >Well Mr. Buss, your Boo! really scared me.  From using
AOL for 10 years I >have become very, very hardened to scams, password
stealers
and those >attempting to put viruses on my PC through executables attached to
e-mail.  I >am also aware that there can be macro viruses is MS Word
documents.  When I >see something like the above, my antenna reach the
ceiling.  I question why >you are sending charts (probably .gifs) as
executables?  Charts are not .exe >files.  I also question why you are sending
charts in MS Word document format >when this is the MetaStock list.  Why not
send a chart that came from >MetaStock?  My bent is that you are trying to
scam
me.  If that is not the >case I apologize, but I will not run your file
until I
see answers to my >questions.  :::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::: Tom - When I
saw that "Dow_Boo!.exe" file come down I was scared. Whenever I see an
unsolicited file of any kind come down I worry, but when I saw that it was an
executable, the kind that does the damage, that is when I became scared. I
deleted it immediately, "shooting first and asking questions later," so to
speak. I did not want to give it a chance to self-execute before I acted. My
guess is that Steve meant no harm and that this is a learning experience for
him and us all. In the future, I do not want to see ANY unsolicited executable
files come my way. I doubt that I will accept any executable file, even if I
know that it is coming, but will not close the door on that, taking each case
as it arises.

-- Frank :-)

High Return on Investment using Technical Analysis
http://www.usinternet.com/users/fbg/
Minnesota Long Distance Canoe Racing
http://www.usinternet.com/users/fbg/mnlong/