Poetical Lamentation - Merging Historical Data - Going Postal!

Dear Sirs:
	Your Downloader 6.5, I say;
	Is quite a good one; in it's way,
	Wracks the nerves,  purges the bowels;
	And drenches handkerchiefs like towels
	With tears, that in a flood of Grief
	Bring hysterical relief
	To shatter'd nerves & quickened pulses
	Which your Downloader convulses.
	But ah! It is both apt and smart!
	Destroying data on a lark
	And histories we sought to merge,
	"Damn history, I only Purge!"
	In short, as unparall'd tragedy
	Tis quite the thing to hear and see.
	Product design - A work of art!
	Datahandling, oh! I love that part
	Its manipulation of a list
	Put me knickers in a twist
	Merge? "Oh, sure! One at a time!
	Till security six billion ninety-nine!"
	No postal worker full of bile
	Could vomit in so grand a style

Please take no offence at my poesy. But it is 4 a.m., and I have taken up my
pen at hazard, after forlornly trying since Saturday to make this work.

After two weeks with MetaStock, I realize that mine is uncommon thinking. But
though having grown up in Northern Vermont, and admittedly somewhat still
shaken from the recent revelation that my father and brother are one, I am
nonetheless puzzled by the behavior of the MetaStock 6.5 Downloader.

It is painfully apparent that one cannot merge historical data that is in
MetaStock format except by the unacceptable security by security process. I
had a hope on reading the manual that perhaps by first converting the
historical data (1970-1991) to ASCII format, that I could then take advantage
of an apparent loophole in the frustration web so tightly woven around the
Downloader by using the data conversion feature which seems capable of
appending data to the end of existing "newer" data (1991-1997). My attempts
so far have not been successful as the ASCII source seems to replace the
entire "newer" data file though I have replace file unchecked.

Is there someway of making this work?

I downloaded the MetaStock Data CD to hard drive then updated to today. (A
procedure which took several days as Dial Data limits the download capacity
to approximately a week's worth of data at a time.) I had a data CD that I
had burned two years ago with MetaStock format history dating back to 1970. I
wanted to merge the older historical data with the updated data on the hard
drive.

Thanks to anyone who can offer advice or simply tell me that it is not
possible and I shall begin anew using the historical data as the starting
point for another full week of Dial Data downloads to update the historical
data CD. And I remain

Ever yrs truly,
Screaming Lord Byron

George Gordon