Re: 6.5 Downloader problems

At 08:10 AM 10/17/97 -0400, John Manasco wrote:
>About one month ago I ordered the 6.5 upgrade to MS. I use Telescan as
>my data provider and immediately found out that Downloader 6.5 wouldn't
>download current quotes from Telescan. I called Equis who acknowledged
>the problem and said they would get back to me very soon. That's the
>last I've heard from them. Since they don't provide an 800 number for
>support I thought I'd shout at them through this forum.
>
>ARE YOU LISTENING EQUIS? YOU TOOK MY MONEY AND SOLD ME A PRODUCT THAT
>DOESN'T WORK AS ADVERTISED.
>
>FIX IT.
>

>John Manasco

::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::

John -

   From what I understand, EQUIS Support has been aware of this problem
unique with Telescan data collection for more than just this version of
Downloader, but was not been able, until recently, to duplicate it.  Now
that they can, they will put the fix into a maintenance release for
Downloader 6.5.

   Until then, one way around it might be Jim's answer.  Another is to set
your date forward one trading day, making Current Quotes available as
"yesterday's" quotes.  What I did was, from the screen where Downloader 6.5
asks for them, delete my lists of securities to collect.  I then closed
Downloader 6.5, then re-opened it and reentered my security lists.  That
fixed the problem for me.

   Inconsistent problems in collecting current quote data, it is now known,
have existed between Telescan and several third-party data collectors,
Downloader being one, for over two years.  By a stroke of Good Fortune,
EQUIS Support is finally able to duplicate the problem.  They pulled their
hair out during those two years, working within their department, with
Telescan, with users, but could not duplicate the difficulty.  Now that
they can create it at will, I hope that the fix will be forthcoming soon!

   I had another problem with Downloader 6.5, that being an inability to
dial out if it was in the background in Delayed update.  Windows NT 4.0
could not dial out until I closed Downloader 6.5.  That situation went away
at about the same time as the first problem was fixed. :-)

-- Frank :-)

High Return on Investment using Technical Analysis
http://www.usinternet.com/users/fbg/
Minnesota Long Distance Canoe Racing
http://www.usinternet.com/users/fbg/mnlong/