Re: Trading....

Thanks for the beautiful comments guys --  I needed that!

I see now that my real "mistake" was in viewing the loss of money on a
trade as a "mistake" rather than a possible -- and acceptable -- outcome
of a risk freely taken.  The clarification of that distortion in my
thinking makes a big difference for me.  It kind of frees me up to know
what I should be doing and I certainly thank you all for that.

There is an interesting analogy between trading and the casualty-fire
insurance business, which carefully, and methodically differentiates
between perils -- fire, hale, vandalism, etc. -- from risk, the
probability of a given peril affecting a particular property.  That is
they "win" if you pay your premium and your house doesn't burn down, and
they "lose" if it does.  If your house does burn, they may change their
"methodology" (e.g. raise your premium or refuse to insure you), but
nowhere in their rich lexicon of terminology is the word "mistake".
Their stop losses are called "limits of liability" while their real
gains are realized by investing your premium money in the markets where
they seem to do pretty well too.

Leo