Re: CAVEAT EMPTOR -Revisited

Hello,

I have somewhat of a technical question resulting from my quest to
understand options.  I am setting up some option models (Black/Schole) in a
 Excel spreadsheet, so I can vary parameters,  such as volatility, over the
life of the option to see the effects graphically.  Anyway, I can calculate
the strike price, but I am having a hard time calculating implied
volatility.  I thought simple algebra would work, but I am not sure how to
handle NORMSDIST().

The following is the formula for the Option Price ;

Call Price=Stock*NORMSDIST((LN(Stock/Strike)+(Rate+Vol*Vol/2) *Time) /
(Vol*SQRT(Time))) -
Strike*EXP(-Rate*Time)*NORMSDIST((LN(Stock/Strike)+(Rate+Vol*Vol/2) *Time)
/ (Vol*SQRT(Time))- Vol*SQRT(Time))

Where;

Stock= Stock Price
Strike = Strike Price
Rate = Risk Free Interest Rate
Time = Days to Expiration / 365
Vol = Volatility

Note:  I tested the results against OptionScope in Metastock and it yields
the right result.

If any knows or can figure out what the Excel formula should be to
calculate Volatility, I would greatly appreciate it.

Also, I have been searching for the formulas for Theta, Gamma, Delta and
Vega.  If anyone knows where I can find these, please let me know.

When I complete this spreadsheet, I am willing to send it to any others who
would like to use it to gain a better understanding of the Black-Scholes
model.

Thanks to all,

Charles F. Corbit III
ccorbit@xxxxxxxxxxx