FTOOLS

On 7/21/97,waheeb@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx wrote:

<<I am testing some MAs and when I add hhv or ref to them they give
better
results but I don=92t understand which date they referring to. For
example
lets say today is Tuesday July 22 and the trading data for this day have
been added to metastock which date are the following formulas  referring
and what is the value they are offering:

hhv(mov(c, 3, S) , 3)
Ref(Mov(c, 3, S) , 3)

Thanks for your help >>

Waheeb,

If today is TUESDAY, July 22, 1997,  then I guess the short answer is
that the formula   " hhv(mov(c, 3, S) , 3)"   returns the HIGHEST high
(value) of the 3 day simple ma, over the course of the last 3 days,
including today.

The HHV function returns the HIGHEST high that occurred over the
preceeding 3 days, including today.  That means that IF today is Tues.
July 22, 1997, then today (tues.), yesterday (mon.), and the day before
yesterday (fri.) are included.

Open MS, click on Help, metastock help, index, and then type in HHV for
the search.  You'll see a good definition and example.

As for the formula  "REF(MOV(C,3,S),3)" ... this actually returns a value
3 days into the future.  That's why this formula doesn't plot on the last
three days of your chart... the data / event hasn't occurred yet.  Even
if you were to use a negative value, such as "-3",  what you'd be asking,
using this particular formula, is to return the value of a        3 day
simple ma...as of 3 DAYS AGO...in this case, that would be Thurs...IF
today is Tues.

Ken