Re: help with zip program

Equis sells a book by Gilbert raff on the Raff Regression Channels.  Since
its listed in books in Print, a bookstore should be able to order it, or
get it from Equis.

At best, I found that Andrews Pitchfork gives similar results as the RRC,
however, it is a bit subjective, while the only subjective factors with RRC
are the selection of the start and end points.

Lionel Issen

At 10:53 PM 7/19/97 GMT, Guy Gordon wrote:
>I'm using a different approach to the problem of Raff Regression
>Channels.  First, I require the channel to be parallel to a similar
>length moving average.  If I can't make it come out parallel to an MA
>by moving the start and end points I just don't consider it valid.
>Second, I try to keep the start and end points inside a days trading
>range.  In other words, I never start or end on a high or a low.  I
>always put the endpoint on a price bar that crosses the middle of the
>channel.
>
>Still, it's too subjective.  Mostly I just use it to verify the slope
>of my "hand-drawn" channels.
>
>Also, MetaStock messes up Linear Regression lines (including the Raff)
>when you use a semi-log Y axis and you try to stretch the line too
>far.  And I *always* use semi-log charts!
>
>I reported this to Equis support, and did not receive a satisfactory
>reply.  The problem is simply that a straight line in the linear
>coordinate system is not a straight line in the semi-log one.  But
>they have no interest in fixing it.  Maybe I'll try talking to them
>about it again.
>
>On Wed, 11 Jun 97 16:21:59 UT, you wrote:
>
>>Alan,
>>     I still prefer to draw my intermediate and long term trend lines the
>>Trader Vic way and then make my channels with a parallel line at the
opposite
>>extreme since there is no ambiguity in drawing such channels.  For short
term
>>channels, I have been using Raff Regression Channels because they usually
>>result in fewer false breakouts.  As you indicated, the problem with Raff
>>Regression Channels is to decide where to start and end them.  For up
>>channels, I start them at the lowest low in the period I'm looking at
which is
>>usually the low just before a down trend break out.  I end them at a high
and
>>then extend them to the right.  If the current close is not a new high, I
>>don't change anything.  If the current close is a new high, I stretch the
end
>>of the channel to the new high.  However, for the channel to be valid, I
>>require at least one higher low from the first low followed by a new high.
>>The problem is to subjectively decide if there was enough of a pull back
for a
>>good higher low <G>. Downtrend channels are just the mirror image.
>>
>>Jim

For an