Re: auto programs

Jim Michael wrote:

> Herb,
>
> I am not familiar with that program, however I use a cron-like utility at
> work to do this type of thing. It is part of NT Server and is the AT
> command (Schedule Service). We use to check for incoming data on a Vax
> node and move it onto our intranet server via ftp, doing some processing
> and html extraction as well. Regarding doing automatic logging on the net
> to get data from web sites etc., you could have one process run dial-up
> networking (assuming win95 or nt) to connect you then use one of the
> excellent Perl scripts (e.g. Webcopy) to fetch the data. Perl is also very
> useful for processing data (stripping html, etc.). Macro programs that
> control Windows apps (such as BigMac) I do not think are adequate for
> this type of work, since error detection is difficult. Find info on Perl
> at http://www.perl.org  I can give you a very easy to use ftp procedure
> if you are running Win95 or NT.
>
> Cheers,
>
> Jim
>
> On Fri, 4 Jul 1997, Herb Carter wrote:
>
> > Hi all:
> > Has anyone used the program "Unisyn Automate". I would like to have my
> > computer do a number of tasks when I am at work or during the night. ie
> > before I get home I would like to be able to have it sign onto the
> > internet then my downloader program will start doing the daily symbol
> > douwnload, when finished I would like a program to sign off the
> > Internet. If not "automate" can anyone suggest another or is there a
> > better way of doing this type of task. I am on the road 2-3 nights a
> > week and it takes forever to update my database when I get back.
> > Thanks.

Thanks for the response and info. I am using Win95. Yes I would
appreciate the ftp procedure. The key word for me is "easy". I am way
behind the people on the list as far as computer understanding goes.
I'll check out the Perl site this weekend. I originally got the autorun
info from Vitaley. I am surprised know one else wants to autodownload.