Re: Why can't info providers work better with MetaStock?

Frank,
if you use DriveSpace3, partitions are not a problem they are an advantage.
 With PartitionMagic and DS3 you create a 1 GB partition that has a 2 GB DS3
CVF (compression doubles your storage capacity).  The partion will keep your
programs and/or data separated and protected.  This way, if a program screws
up a partition, the other ones will not be affected.  Remember DS3 fixes the
cluster limitation problem.

Daniel.

<< Snip, snip, snip . . .

 >A sector is always 512 bytes.   A common mistake people make is they
mistake
 >clusters for sectors. The larger the clusters, the more sectors per
cluster.
 > In uncompressed hard drives, the size of the clusters vary with the size
of
 >the drive.  This is because the number of clusters DOS and Windows 95 can
 >allocate is 64K.  After rereading the drive table in my Partition Magic
 >manual, I can tell you 24K is not a valid cluster size.
 >
 >Drive Size MB       Cluster size            Ave. wasted space
 >128 - 255                    4KB                                4%
 >256 - 511                    8KB                               10%
 >512 - 1,023               16KB                               25%
 >1,024 - 2,047            32KB                              40%
 >2,048 - 4,096            64KB                              50%
 >
 >Most people buy drives larger than 1 GB and are unknowingly wasting 40% of
 >their disk space.  The only way you can reduce this waste is to make the
 >drive's partitions smaller than 512 MB.

 Snip, snip, snip . . .

 Dan -

    I used to live in a world of Partitions for the reason(s) you give
 above, to reduce Stack Space [wasted or unused disc space caused by how DOS
 and then Windows 95 FAT (File Allocation Tables) assigned file space].  Now
 that I use Windows NT 4.0 and its NTFS (NT File System), I have little or
 no Slack Space and only one Partition on one of my two hard drives.

    On the other hand, De-Fragmenting that hard drive is not as well done,
 so there is a tradeoff.

 -- Frank :-)