Re: Computer low in resources

Efrain R Portales wrote:

> Hi folks,
> I'm a futures day trader, recently I subscribe to a Real-Time Quotes
> service ( Inter quote ), so I'm continuously On - Line and retrieving
> quotes every few minutes. At the same time, I'm running  Metastock 6  with
> three or four charts displayed. To my surprise, I've been getting messages
> of "SYSTEM LOW IN RESOURCES, save your work and close some applications". I
> check the system's performance, and sure enough, the computer has been as
> low as 10 % of free memory !!.. My computer is a Pentium 150 Mhz with 48
> Megs of RAM. Anybody with an explanation about this or a suggestion on what
> to do?. I don't think I have to upgrade RAM to 128 Megs just to be
> connected to the Internet and run Metastock !.
> Any help from the computer gurus will be appreciated
> Regards,
> Efrain
> efrain12@xxxxxxxxxxxx

Available System resources have little to do with actual memory or swap
space
in  the computer.  There are several fixed size tables that windows
uses to store information about GDI objects and other windows
things.These
are fixed size and can fill up and the result are these messages about
insufficient windows resources.  Upgrading RAM will not solve these
problems.
What OS are you running.  NT virutally eliminates these problems,
95 is better, 3.11 is horrific.  Metastock uses lots of these resources.
How to fixit.

win95 does not include a tool for monitoring them. Norton does.  I'm
sure
many shareware resource monitors do. Try www.windows95.com for 95/NT

1. remove and do not run unnecessary system tools.  quickres, office
short cut
bar etc.  All of these use resources.

2. don't open as many metastock windows.

3. invest in one of the ram compression programs. Most of them play
games to
expand or optimize the use of these fixed size resources so that you can
run more simultaneous applications.

hope this helps.  If you want more specifics email me....

Sean

--
Sean W. Smith                                Technical Consultant
sean_smith@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx                    Netmedia Solutions Inc.

NOTE: New Email Addr.  swsmith@xxxxxxxxx -> sean_smith@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx

 http://www.mindspring.com/~sean_smith for PGP key and more information