Re: [amibroker] Re: FFT

Hi Ara,

>> There are loads and loads of market letter writters, signal, system
>> and indicator sellers out there all of whom have the same goal and it
>> isn't to educate the public.

AK> How true!!!

AK> I would not mind paying for a product that works ...

That's the point.  Neither would anyone else -- provided it was sold
ONLY TO THEM.

If it works well, and it's published, it soon won't work well.

1) This is the information age.

2) Anyone who publishes a respectable system will immediately have
several million people (at least) back test it (probably the next
day). If it works well for them on a back test, they will use it,
which means it won't work long going forward.

Why can't people understand this easy logic?

If it's worth paying for, it's worth, as Fred said, tens upon
millions, or billions, of dollars.  Anyone charging less is a
flat-out dullard.  The same for anyone voluntarily publishing a good
system.

A good system is so valuable that it doesn't have a price, mostly
because selling it publicly would immediately destroy its value.  The
price would be good for the seller, but the buyer would either need
to secure exclusivity, or not be too bright.

For the most part, Fred's extreme percentage example won't work --
because of liquidity problems.  But edges are so hard to come by that
it doesn't take too many people trying to exploit the same edge to
absolutely destroy that edge.

Finally, I agree with you.  Cycle research is trying to pin human
emotion to some clock-like cycle.  Good luck with that.

There are some periodical cycles that can be exploited -- related to
the calendar, for example -- but searching for a one-size-fits-all
cyclical formula to explain human nature reveals nothing more than a
rather woeful lack of understanding when it comes to human nature in
the first place.

Yeah, it's like Fib numbers:  It works sometimes, but it doesn't work
a lot, too.  Same with the periodical cycles.

There is NO grail!  Grail-searchers, be gone!!!  ^^_^^

There are temporary edges.  Exploit them.  Expect, with the power of
modern desktop computers to say the least, that they won't last too
long.  *TENS OR HUNDREDS OF MILLIONS* of people are searching through
the data, looking for an edge.  Every day.  Every night on the other
side of the world.  They never stop.  They are relentless.

And they are dying to sell that newly discovered edge to you for US$
1,500??? Or even ten times that much???

Yeah.  Sure.

Yuki

P.S.  Dimitris rules!  ^_^