[amibroker] Re: FFT

No one publishes the workings of the "Holy Grail" for all to see for
a variety of reasons not the least of which is that it owouldn't take
long before it stopped working ... Beyond that it's not really for
sale in any form disclosed or otherwise either for the same
reasons ...

If you had a system that made 100% CAR on less then 5% DD's what
would it be worth ? ... Billions ? Millions ? Certainly not
thousands ... Even if you only had $10k to start with in ten years
you'd have $10mm ...

There are loads and loads of market letter writters, signal, system
and indicator sellers out there all of whom have the same goal and it
isn't to educate the public.

Think about it ...

--- In amibroker@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx, "Ara Kaloustian" <ara1@xxx> wrote:

> interesting thought, but I don't think doing FFT on weeky data will
overcome the basic issues of FFT.

> Unfortunately, my experience with MESA (at least the version
provided in Ehlers books) has not been useful either.

> In particular, I dont get good separation of trend and cycle modes.
Seems cycle mode is valid after 2 complete "good looking" cycles are
gone by. This is of course not very useful as the cycles do not
continue forever.

> I beleive the propriatary version (which is different) is available
from Trade Station and eSignal for 30 day free evaluation.

> There is only scetchy info in his books about the proprietary
version.

> If anyone uses these platforms to trade with, you might try and see
if they are useful.

function of it's use-ability as an input for trading decisions. With
dominant cycle lengths changing every few bars how can we implement
trading positions based on this input? Anybody used this successfully
to call swing pivots and willing to share their technique? Just loud
thinking and maybe it is without a logical base - Is it possible to
extract the cycle length based on the DFT algorithm Tomasz posted on
a weekly timeframe and then apply it to the daily timeframe by
multiplying with 5(trading days in a week). Will that to some extent
take care of the concern about the constancy of cycle length?

>   On 3/28/07, wavemechanic <fimdot@xxx> wrote:
>     As I think you suggest, neither is the Holy Grail.  FFT can
certainly not compete in the resolution department with MESA without
invalidating the requirement of constancy of amplitude and phase
because of the need for large data lengths in order to achieve
resolution.  So, using short data lengths MESA shoots for high
resolution of short-term cycles and knowingly accepts some
statistical penalty.  Even so its still not Shangri La because short-
term cycles will most probably not be present over longer periods
that are of interest to traders/investors.  Ehlers cleverly takes
care of this by dividing the world into trending and non-trending and
arguing that short-term cycles will be a major player in non-trending
markets but not in trending markets (very useful insight).  He then
throws in the towel and emphasizes trading in trending markets (short-
term trading is too tough?).

>     Bill

FFT to
>     >> > talk about.  Until then statistics help identify valid
cycles
>     > and
>     >> > MESA offers some advantages, including noise filtering and
>     > ability
>     >> > to handle shorter cycles.  Good luck in your search.
>     >> >>
>     >> >> Bill
>     >> >>
MESA' -
>     >
>     >> > that even after I should have found whatever modified
version of
>     >> > FFT, MESA will give me better results. In other words, why
>     > playing
>     >> > with FFT if MESA is the right way to go. Is that your
opinion or
>     > am
>     >> > I missing something ?
>     >> >>
>     >> >>   Ton
>     >> >>
>     >> >>
Bartels, F-
>     >> > ratio, chi-square, etc.).  Beyond that one can go to MESA
and
>     > such.
>     >> >>
>     >> >>     Bill
Ehlers
>     >> > MESA website:
>     >> >>
>     >> >>         http://www.mesasoftware.com/fftcomparison.htm
>     >> >>
>     >> >>         Bill
>     >> >>
268.18.17/732 -
>     >> > Release Date: 3/24/2007 4:36 PM
>     >> >>
>     >> >>
>     >> >>
>     >> >>
>     >> >> ----------------------------------------------------------
------
>     > ---
>     >> > -------
>     >> >>
>     >> >>
>     >> >>       No virus found in this incoming message.
>     >> >>       Checked by AVG Free Edition.
>     > Release
>     >> > Date: 3/25/2007 11:07 AM
>     >> >>
>     >> >>
>     >> >>
>     >> >>
>     >> >>
>     >> >> ----------------------------------------------------------
------
>     > ---
>     >> > -----------
>     >> >>
>     >> >>
>     >> >>   No virus found in this incoming message.
>     >> >>   Checked by AVG Free Edition.
Release
>     > Date:
>     >> > 3/26/2007 2:31 PM
>     >> >>
>     >> >
>     >> >
>     >> >
>     >> >
>     >> > Please note that this group is for discussion between
users only.
>     >> >
>     >> > To get support from AmiBroker please send an e-mail
directly to
>     >> > SUPPORT {at} amibroker.com
>     >> >
>     >> > For NEW RELEASE ANNOUNCEMENTS and other news always check
DEVLOG:
Date:
Date: 3/26/2007 2:31 PM