RE: [RT] Cost of the economic rescue so far

Yes, I knew Obama was referring to his bowling and that’s why I preceded the comment with …. to indicate the license I’d taken.  With Russian bombers likely coming to Cuba and Venezuela, our befriending Iran rebuffs our efforts, ‘resetting’ our relations with Russia which publicly ridicules the US, our Energy Department threatening to cap and trade the largest emerging economy in the world, Israel being summarily cast out as an ally….. the Administration’s short track record isn’t any better than Obama’s bowling to date.  On the other hand, Joe Biden’s comment was verbatim.  Biden’s MO is typically without thought.  I revel, however, in the tables being turned on the supposed morally superior left.  And please don’t argue Obama/Biden are not left of left within the context of their Congressional voting record.

About journalism and its own license.  I too regret the lack of civility in the press.  The old ‘wink and a nod’ was as much a result of deference to people saying things in the absence of thoughtfulness (people say silly things) as it was respecting someone’s position.  Why prolong something that wasn’t meant to harm?  Imagine, Rev. Jackson or Rev. Sharpton forgiving someone’s mindless or indiscrete moment.  These days, however, things have changed greatly and it is hardly without the complicity of the press.  Quite the contrary.  The political correctness of today largely has its roots justifiably in racism (in my opinion) but has spread to any person who wishes to feel victimized and thereby gain advantage over another person.   And I personally believe that this results from the separation of a person’s duty and right to defend their character to the civilized jurisdiction of a court.  If you called a person a scoundrel in 1920 you might get punched or shot.  Respect was a personal duty then.  But today, if you shoot an intruder in your own home and then use a socially incorrect word, you might be indicted for not only a felony but it might be a Federal hate crime as well.

Now about today’s Congressional hearings.  I watched today’s hearings, with much the anticipation I have many a day way back when I was in college and ran home to watch the Watergate hearings.  Every now and then (actually it’s a rarity), people on both sides of the isles have a commonality in thought regardless of lack of intelligence or independence.  I’ve dismissed Maxine Waters for years for not having the understanding of markets and finance comparable to her understanding of how the CIA enslaved blacks in Los Angeles to cocaine (said quite facetiously).  But, today, she got right in Tim Gietner’s face and, not lacking her typical indignation, with the Goldman Sachs’ connection to the Tarp, AIG and Stimulus via Hank Paulson.  [Unfortunately, her understanding of the Goldman Sachs connection did not extend back to Robert Rubin or Jon Corzine.  Of course Rubin lobbied Congress as US Treasury Secretary from 1995 to 1999 to “modernize” Glass Stegal and took a job for Sandy Weil with Citibank 4 days (yes 4 days) after Congress passed Graham Rudman.  And Jon Corzine, who walked away from GS with $750M fashionably before Enron crashed with Goldman having been the lead in promoting Enron….  But somehow, today, bank failures are blamed on Republicans having repealed Glass Stegal and Enron was caused by Bush.]  But even though she conveniently forgot the historied Democrat connection to Goldman Sachs, Maxine made me proud, and I’m not being facetious.  She vigorously questioned the very obvious Goldman self dealing connection.  Even the least of those may stumble on a rare moment of intellectual insight once in their career.  Today was truly the first time I saw most of those questioning the Fed and Treasury have the courage, insight and independence to ask some good questions and not back down from the high browed BS.

And here’s one of the rare, ‘called your bluff’ moments today in the hearing.  Geitner, having made a valiant defense of Liddy (new AIG CEO), as a valiant civilian who did not create the problem or take any money to become CEO, had to answer the question “Well, did Mr. Liddy have any connection to Goldman Sachs who has received Tarp, AIG counterparty funds, and Stimulus funds.”  Well, the answer was a grand ‘Yes.’  Tens of billions have gone to Goldman via one route or the other.  And the tie-in continues.  We’ll find out eventually Liddy has a major Goldman tie in that benefits him for his supposedly laudably patriotic service in resurrecting AIG.  Nevertheless, it was a truly memorable Congressional hearing today.  Not that anything will change because of the iron fists that rule the two chambers of Congress and the money that Goldman sprinkles in all the right places.  But it was encouraging.

In my thinking, it’s too late.  It hardly matters who’s in power.  The long wave cycles of the economy have turned to the Kontratieff winter and the economic and social challenges are simply an aspect of the inevitable season of decline.  The question is how far the social contract will devolve before it begins to re construct itself.

Interesting times.

Jim Ross