Re: [RT] Re: Advice requested

Warren Buffet has the most profound advice for any young person just beginning their investment portfolio ...

NEVER, NEVER, NEVER buy anything that will lose you money.   Hard to do?  No, it means stay conservative, especially in your earlier years.  The miracle of compound growth means that ever dollar you invest today will double about every 8 years based on historic returns in conservative broad based growth funds.  That means that a dollar put in today by an 18 year old will be worth about $80 at age 65.  So losing $1 dollar today (early in your investment life) costs you $80 actually.   Taking more risk later on a portion of your portfolio puts far less at risk since both the % of your expanded portfolio is smaller and the future growth remaining is smaller.

This lesson should be mandatory in all high schools. Deferring college for 5 years would allow an 18 year old graduate to enter the work force and sock away $5k/ year for 5 years.   That 25K nest egg would grow to $1.5 million by age 65 if conservatively invested.  So, by merely deferring college for 5 years the entire next generation can insure themselves of financial security for life in retirement without the need even for social security.

So again, remember, stay conservative when young and NEVER NEVER NEVER lose any investment money.

Boater805