From a test today, I observed Win/XP using twice the # of threads as Win2k.....and 5 times the kernel memory space....
and 3 times the number of file handles. Oh, and this was while Win2k was running a trading app and WinXP had 2 IE instances running.

From: realtraders@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx [mailto:realtraders@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx] On Behalf Of Pete Holt
Sent: Wednesday, November 14, 2007 5:06 PM
To: realtraders@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
Subject: Re: [RT] TradeStation

TS is really CPU intensive and need lots of RAM.  I know folks having no problems if running dual core CPUs with 2-4 Gigs of RAM.  Anything less for many Desktops with many Workspaces with many charts and you will probably run into trouble.

Mark Simms wrote:

Interesting post above that indicates some TS traders experiencing "freeze-ups" during tick data bursts....
especially emini futures.
I think some of the problems are related to level II quotes which just cause a barrage of data to the workstation.

Win/XP as well, appears to be a culprit....not the best for trading applications :