Re: [RT] The Market environment

--- In realtraders@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx, "Bobh" <BHEISLER@xxxx> wrote:
> Well, my next preference would be both but not very far in either
direction.

> Normally after boom/bust periods, like we're in now, a market tends
to do a lot of nothing for a very long time.

I don't disagree with that, but a lot of nothing like we just had
could mean a trip back to < 800? Or up another 300 SPX points? Right?
I'm on record, and I took a lot of flack for it here,
saying we could see a sort of 70's style bear. That market "did
nothing" for a very long time, but in the context of a 50% range (Dow
500-1000). Iraq ain't as bad as 'Nam yet (50K body bags back then
kids), but it smells a bit like those bad old days. It's not George
Sr.'s wam-bam-thank-you-mam clean made for TV kinda war, that's for
sure.

> Plus favorite tools (outside of Price) that may have worked well in
a bull or bear market are not likely to work as well, if at all, in a
transitional market.

Are you saying stuff like breadth or trendlines or price patterns are
no longer working? I agree the market is less trendy, but even within
that context markets tend to cycle from choppy to more volatile and
back again. FWIW, multiple weekly ADX's (just a way to
quantify "price" movement, or lack thereof) are at their lowest
levels in three years....sooner or later they will begin to rise
again when price becomes more impulsive.

> Just my 2 cents.

Note
> > the 3 heavy red arrows marking extreme low readings w/o 7/24/98,
> > 9/8/00 and current.
> > >
> > >   Earl

Monday

http://www.c1tracking.com/l.asp?cid=5511