[RT] Free EOD data and problems associated

Hi all,
I started trading in late '94. I was collecting delayed intraday data from quote.com/dbc.com websites using my own programs. I also collected EOD data. I got great help from an RT, Gary Funck, who contributes to this list. I was collecting and maintaining intraday and end of data for several indices and stocks. It was pain in the you know where. You will get out of order data, incorrect data, missing data, format changes in the middle of the day.
It sounds great getting free data but unless you have passion for FREE and endurance for the pain associated with it, in other words, you need to LOVE doing this stuff.
One may give you free EOD data till yesterday but then what ? How will you update it daily ? Manage stock splits ? Filter the data for bad quotes , volume etc etc ? How about ticker changes ? New issues ? Stock moving to different exchange ? Delistings ? Etc Etc ! Its a night mare and unless you can program and have fun doing it (hacking html, parsing etc etc), its not for you.
Last year for few months I got quote.com qcharts software. I tried it out for several months and compared to my intraday data/EOD. I found out that it doesn't suit my style of trading and I didn't really wanted real time instant quotes. I was happy with the delayed or EOD data for my trading. As long as indices were real time (almost all financial websites have real time indices). Also, I can always get real time quotes directly from the broker. Also, Emini quotes are realtime (ES and NQ) from cme's website (or one of their partners such as barcharts.com) Also, several websites have delayed futures data. I just collect futures data, but dont trade futures.
I also use a software , quotetracker  http://www.quotetracker.com . I'm not associated with it, just a very happy user. Its an adware (they show the ad and you are suppose to click once in a while). Its a very good program, even has integrated trading for Datek ! It can get realtime quotes from your broker (you supply your username and password). It creates intraday charts, tech analysis, portfolio management. Its a godsend !
My main platform of choice has always been Unix. I was working on Solaris (Sun Sparcstation) when I was working. Now at home, I'm running Linux on a PC. I do all my development and data gathering on the Linux machine. I use quotetracker on another PC to watch real time quotes. So, I cancelled my quote.com/qcharts subscription. Qcharts is good if you are interested in tick by tick data. My trading systems dont need tick by tick or even real time instantaneous quotes. I'd say for most casual traders, quotetracker is more than enough.
So, I'll be more than happy to provide historical data on any stock (as long as I've it :-), but wont be able to provide daily updates because I'm not willing to maintain your database. I've my hands (and hard disk) full maintaining my own !
Thanks
MuditDo You Yahoo!?
a year!http://personal.mail.yahoo.com/