[RT] Re: Is trading system necessary for a successful trading? {03}

Hi Ray and Mark and group:

I learned a great deal from your posts and other members as well.  Here is
what I think;

1. Is a trading system necessary for a successful trading?
Yes. Here is why;
a. Humans are suboptimal judges-  Every investment act involves psychology,
because every investment act is behavior influenced by both thoughts and
feelings.  Investors and traders may not be used to thinking of themselves
and their behavior in this way. Many are likely to bulk at the suggestion
that their emotions affect their  investment or trading decisions or that
their assessments of business risk and potentials may involve mental errors.
While most investors are  aware of the conscious though processes that lead
to their investment decisions, many are not aware that those processes may
be influenced by unconscious emotions or cognitive strategies and that their
decisions thus may be less "optimal" than they seem.

Research has shown that decisions may be biased by cognitive errors
(Kahneman & Tversky, 1979), by the influence of emotion (Bower, 1981), or
both (Plous, 1993).  This is as true of investment decisions as any other
kind of decision ( Kanhneman & Riepe, 1998).  Whatever the cause is
direction of the decision bias, the result can be investment and trading
choices that are less optimal decisions can lead to less than optimal
trading performance.  Therefore, the psychology of decision making is
rightly the concern of every trader and investor.

Behavioral finance or investment psychology may represent the key to
understanding the sub-optimal results obtained by many traders and
investors.  Despite in-depth 'know-how' and technical knowledge, many
investors and traders are not able to generate a desirable or even a
positive return on their investments.

Yet few blame their own faulty decisions for such failures.  Some will blame
fate, market, or their trading method or mechanical system.  Others remain
perplexed and confused by the differences between the results that their
trading method should obtain and the results that they do obtain.  rarely
will a trader or investor conclude without prompting that may be his or her
own reasoning is to blame.  As Bernstien (1997) notes:
" All of us think of ourselves as rational beings even in times of crisis,
applying the laws of probability in cool and calculated fashion to the
choices that confront us.  We like to believe we are above average in
skills, refinement, farsightedness, experience, refinement, and leadership.
Who admits to being an incompetent driver, a feckless debator, a stupid
investor, or a person with inferio taste in clothes?  Yet how realistic are
such images?  Not everyone can be above average.  Furthermore, the most
importnat decisions we make usually occur under complex, confusing,
indistinct, or frightening conditions. Not much time to consult the laws of
probability"   (p. 23).

Bernstein is probably correct.  Psychological research has demonstrated
that, even in relaxed circumstances, peole fail to take adequate account of
the laws of probability when makning decisions ( Kahneman & Tversky, 1979).
Research ahs also demonstrated that emotions such as those experineced when
making rsiky decisons in stressful circumstances can impede rational
decision making ( Plous, 1993).

Such insights may help to explain why a majority of traders, despite
know-how knowldge, lose money, failing to break-even, fewer make a profit.
An understanding of the psychology of decision making in general and
decision pitfalls in particulr may help to explain the negative investement
outcomes achieved by so many investors and tarders.  Such an understanding
may also aid traders in anticipating and correcting decision errors.  This
might lead to more rational individual investement decisions for a better
trdaing or investemnt performance.  ( If requested, I'll explore it in more
details in other postings.)

Does a trading system ( either mechnical or descrationary) increase the
trading performance?
I'll cover in my next posting.  Let's just trade now.

Best, Ned