[RT] your pc and y2k {01}

Hi All:

Got the following message from a friend of mine.

Now I'm not a computer expert, so I don't know the ramification of doing or
not doing what's being advised.  I just did it, rebooted the computer and
checked the date format.  Seems ok to me...

Do whatever you like with the advice.  If you feel it helpful, pass along
to your friends...

Regards,

Hin-Shing
<< Here's the message >>

TAKE A MOMENT TO DO THIS. YOUR DATE MUST READ 4 DIGITS FOR
THE YEAR NOT TWO (i.e. 01/01/2000 not 01/01/00) OR IT WILL THINK IT IS
1900. LOOK AT YOUR SYSTEM. YOU CAN CHANGE IT YOURSELF.

MINE CHECKED OUT FINE EXCEPT FOR THAT BALI

You may think your PC is "'(2K" compliant, and some little
tests may have actually affirmed that your hardware is compliant, and you
may even have a little company sticker affixed to your system saying 'Y2K
Compliant", but you'll be surprised that Windows may still crash unless
you do this simple exercise below. I know that I had not thought of this
and my home computer and work computer would have failed Jan 1, 2000.
Easy fix but something Microsoft seems to have missed in certifying their
software as Y2K compliant.

This is simple to do, and but VERY important.

Click on "START'.

Double click on "Control Panel".

Double click on "Regional settings" icon (look for the
little world globe).

Click on the "Date" tab at the top of the page (last tab on
the top right) where it says, "Short Date Sample".

Look and see if it shows a two digit year format "yy".

Unless you've previously changed it (and you probably haven't) -- it will
be set incorrectly with just the TWO y's. It needs to be FOUR y's! That
is because Microsoft made the 2 digits setting default setting for Windows
95, Windows 98 and NT. This date format elected - the date that Windows
feeds *ALL* application software and will not rollover into the year 2000.
It will rollover to the year 00.

Click on the button across from "Short Date Style" and
select the option that shows, mm/dd/yyyy'. (Be sure your selection has
FOUR y's showing, not just mm/dd/yy). Then click on "Apply". Then click
on "OK" at the button.

Easy.

Tough for Microsoft to fix, however, since every "as
distributed" installation of Windows worldwide is defaulted to fail Y2K
rollover... Pass this along to your buddies... no matter how much of a
guru they think they are... this might be a welcome bit of information!