Re: Why are the Big Pond Big Fish so Dangerous?

<x-html><HTML>
<BODY BGCOLOR="#FFFFFF">
There are many things that come into play when trading the SnP and money
isn't one of them.&nbsp; If your money management system or account size
won't let you trade then stay out.&nbsp; If you are a trader you don't
think in terms of money&nbsp; you think in terms of points or units or
deltas. The risk has already been calculated before you even started trading
the contract.&nbsp; That is the reason they give you chips in Vegas, so
that you won't think of the money.&nbsp; A chip has no value.&nbsp; There
are upstairs traders that are doing nothing but trading the spread between
the index and the future, using baskets of stock to represent the index.&nbsp;
There are traders in the pits that wait for very thin action to run the
markets up or down to trigger stops.&nbsp; The location of stops is no
big deal to figure out.&nbsp; There are those that are trading against
an options position.&nbsp; Remember one thing and that is that those traders
in the pit are always on the wrong side of the action.&nbsp; They are going
against what the paper flow into the pit is.&nbsp; If the public and upstairs
traders are buying, they are selling and vise versa.&nbsp; There are no
contracts to begin with, they are all created on the floor.&nbsp; Volatility
comes when the pit doesn't want to take the risk at the price.&nbsp; The
the price rises or falls till value is attained in the eyes of the trader
that justifies the risk he is taking or until an upstairs trader sees the
opportunity to&nbsp; trade the baskets.&nbsp; As long as there is a free
market the volatility and risk will vary depending upon the envisioned
risk to the trader.&nbsp; The reason they are better traders is because
they make those decisions ever minute and we only have to make them when
we want to. If they weren't good they wouldn't last very long, the wolves
would devour them.&nbsp; good trading, Ira

<P>Steven Buss wrote:
<BLOCKQUOTE TYPE=CITE>&nbsp;<FONT SIZE=-1>One often reads that in deciding
to trade the sp futures contract one is deciding to trade against the best
traders.&nbsp; (A statement to this effect was made recently on this list.)</FONT>&nbsp;<FONT SIZE=-1>My
question is this.&nbsp; In what specific (empirically verifiable) way(s)
is the sp contract different from others such that it is qualitatively
more difficult to daytrade?&nbsp; I'm interested in answers along the lines
of:</FONT>&nbsp;<FONT SIZE=-1>-&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp; The sp contract has a
greater dollar per average true range of bars that are day traded such
that one can lose a good deal of money quickly.</FONT><FONT SIZE=-1>-&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;
The sp contract has a greater tendency for intra-day reversals than other
contracts.</FONT><FONT SIZE=-1>-&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp; The sp contract impacts
and in turn is impacted by a large range of other indices, markets, etc.
and it is difficult to monitor all these other markets at once.</FONT>&nbsp;<FONT SIZE=-1>Please
note that the question answers listed above are mere speculation on my
part about how the sp might be more difficult to daytrade than other contracts.&nbsp;
All these answers above may be correct; they also may all be wrong.&nbsp;
I have no idea.&nbsp; I just listed them to provide a sample of the kind
of answers to the question I was interested in.</FONT>&nbsp;<FONT COLOR="#000000"><FONT SIZE=-1>Thanks....</FONT></FONT>

<P><FONT COLOR="#000000"><FONT SIZE=-1>Steven Buss</FONT></FONT>
<BR><FONT COLOR="#000000"><FONT SIZE=-1>sbuss@xxxxxxxxxxx</FONT></FONT>
<BR><FONT COLOR="#000000"><FONT SIZE=-1>Walnut Creek, CA, USA</FONT></FONT></BLOCKQUOTE>
&nbsp;
</BODY>
</HTML>
</x-html>From ???@??? Thu Nov 26 12:44:37 1998