GEN (FUTR): opening prices

I am curious about how the opening is "decided on".  Would be interested
in present/past floor brokers drawing a picture for me:

You are standing there before the market opens with some limit orders
and some market orders.  I assume the market orders get the ball
rolling, but if you only had limit orders you would bid/ask based on
them?  My question is:  how do you know where to start bidding and
asking, particularly if everybody has market orders.  based on previous
close?  overnight action?

A related perhaps more practical question for the off-the-floor trader.
Where do the opening calls come from?  Would they be different from
different sources?  To the extent it can be generalized, are they
reliable?

							Conrad Bowers